ICMS stimulates and promotes the mathematical sciences through diverse international workshops & conferences. Our vibrant events programme attracts leading mathematical scientists from the UK and internationally - connecting mathematical communities across the world. As a response to COVID, we are now experienced in organising and hosting virtual events, alongside in-person ones.
In addition to workshops, ICMS manages a number of other mathematical activities, such as our very popular Research-in-Groups programme; an extensive knowledge exchange programme; public engagement; and by giving administrative support to a number of mathematical groups.
For information on our aims, governance structure and our gender and diversity policies, see the About page.
Our Principal Aims:
- To advance the mathematical sciences by fostering collaborations between researchers and disseminating their discoveries
- To stimulate the impact of mathematical innovation on the world, promoting interactions with other disciplines, industry and commerce;
- To contribute to the future of the mathematical sciences through the training and support for the next generation of mathematicians;
- To promote an appreciation of the value, beauty and ubiquity of the mathematical sciences;
- To build and connect international research communities, encouraging their diversity and dynamism.
ICMS works closely with its sister institute the Isaac Newton Institute at the University of Cambridge. Together we have a network of correspondents in all departments of Mathematical Sciences throughout the UK.
We are wholly owned by Heriot-Watt University and the University of Edinburgh. It is funded by its parent universities and the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council of the UK with additional support from the LMS.
ICMS is a member of ERCOM, the European Mathematical Society’s committee for European Research Centres on Mathematics.