The ICMS is committed to equality and diversity in all its activities and developed the following action plan (2018-2020):
The 2023 action plan is currently being written.
Proposal Submission and Acceptance
Monitor gender ratios for organisers and participants at the proposal submission stage and challenge any proposal with no female organiser or a low gender ratio for potential participants.
Require workshop proposers to identify steps that they intend to take to improve diversity within their field.
To put greater emphasis on gender balance when considering proposals and, if appropriate, make the acceptance of a proposal conditional upon meeting gender balance expectations for potential participants. (See: LMS)
Practical and Financial Support
- Publish and promote a clear and transparent Provision of Care policy to assist in the removal of barriers to participation, for example by offering: accommodation suitable for participants’ needs; ensure ICMS events are accessible to all participants; financial assistance for those with caring needs or responsibilities.
- Seek funding that can be used to help remove barriers to participation including for participants from DAC List countries.
- Support those who wish to participate in ICMS events but are not comfortable in approaching organisers directly.
- Make imaginative use of web and audio-visual technologies to facilitate virtual participation.
Participation and Organisation Rates
- Monitor ethnicity of participants to inform future diversity action plans.
- Monitor female participation rates at all levels and offer guidance to organisers towards target minimum participation rate of 25% by 2020.
- Strongly encourage workshop proposers to include at least one woman as a workshop organiser or scientific advisor.
Environment and Communication
- Create a pleasant gender-neutral working environment where everyone feels welcome and valued.
- Ensure that all ICMS publications and communications including the website reflect its desire to support and nurture women and diversity in mathematics.
- Work to ensure that at least 30% of appointed members of ICMS’s Programme Committee and Advisory Board, and 25% of its Management Committee are women.
- Report gender statistics annually to Management Committee and the Advisory Board for all activities.
Events and Activities
- Seek opportunities and funds to host events and activities for women mathematical scientists.
- Seek opportunities and funds to host events and activities to encourage diversity in the mathematical sciences.
- Ensure all permanent ICMS staff have access to CPD opportunities including regular unconscious bias training and other appropriate courses.
- Make unconscious bias training available to all ICMS committee and Board members. Monitor and report numbers of members who have had unconscious bias training in the last three years.