ICMS Funding Opportunities
The International Centre for Mathematical Sciences in Edinburgh is funded by EPSRC to support research in all areas of the mathematical sciences and its connections to other disciplines and industry. Proposals are externally refereed and organisers are encouraged to contact ICMS to discuss their proposal before the final submission. Funding is available for the following.
- Research Workshops: usually 5 days for 30-80 people to engage in a focussed workshop across all areas of the mathematical sciences and their applications, including cross-disciplinary research and engagement with problems from the public sector and industry. There are two submission deadlines each year: 1 April and 1 October. Proposals submitted in October 2018 would be for workshops taking place in 2020.
- Early Career Workshops: ICMS workshops with an organizing committee of ECRs, enabling ECRs to take leadership roles in their area. ICMS can provide mentorship from people with experience of running successful meetings at ICMS to advise the organising committee. There are two submission deadlines each year: 1 April and 1 October. Proposals submitted in October 2018 would be for workshops taking place in 2020.
- Strategic Workshops: for up to 5 days for 20-50 people to help the mathematical sciences community to engage in cross disciplinary funding opportunities and policy driven initiatives where timing is important. These can also be used to provide a rapid response to create communities in emerging areas, particularly where this involves working across disciplines. There are four calls each year although where necessary ICMS will consider proposals out of cycle; a short preliminary outline is needed to show that the idea fits the strategic workshop category. Submission deadlines are: 10 January; 1 April; 1 July; and 1 October.
- Research in Groups (RiGs): typically 2-6 people for two to three weeks. RiGs brings together an international group to work on a particular problem leading to new research or grant proposals. There are four calls each year. The submission deadlines are: 1 February; 1 May; 1 September; and 1 November.
- Research Partnerships with Industry: similar to RiGs but with an industrial partner, leading to new research, a proof of concept, or a report for the industrial partner. There are four calls each year (see Research in Groups above).
- Follow-on Grants: designed to enable groups of researchers to re-evaluate work arising from workshops held at ICMS or elsewhere.
- Academia-Industry Meetings: these meetings are focussed on industry applications. Meetings will typically be held over two days with a mix of academic and industrial participants. An open call for this initiative will be issued in Summer 2018.
ICMS also organises stand-alone Knowledge Transfer and Public Engagement activities, and hosts workshops with external funding.