Equality and diversity action plan
The ICMS is committed to equality and diversity in all its activities and has developed the following action plan.
- Proposal Submission and Acceptance
- Monitor gender ratios for organisers and participants at the proposal submission stage and challenge any proposal with no female organiser or a low gender ratio for potential participants.
- Require workshop proposers to identify steps that they intend to take to improve diversity within their field.
- To put greater emphasis on gender balance when considering proposals and, if appropriate, make the acceptance of a proposal conditional upon meeting gender balance expectations for potential participants.
- Practical and Financial Support
• Publish and promote a clear and transparent Provision of Care policy to assist in the removal of barriers to participation, for example by offering: accommodation suitable for participants’ needs; ensure ICMS events are accessible to all participants; financial assistance for those with caring needs or responsibilities.
• Seek funding that can be used to help remove barriers to participation including for participants from DAC List countries.
• Support those who wish to participate in ICMS events but are not comfortable in approaching organisers directly.
• Make imaginative use of web and audio-visual technologies to facilitate virtual participation.
- Participation and Organisation Rates
• Monitor ethnicity of participants to inform future diversity action plans.
• Monitor female participation rates at all levels and offer guidance to organisers towards target minimum participation rate of 25% by 2020.
• Strongly encourage workshop proposers to include at least one woman as a workshop organiser or scientific advisor.
- Environment and Communication
• Create a pleasant gender-neutral working environment where everyone feels welcome and valued.
• Ensure that all ICMS publications and communications including the website reflect its desire to support and nurture women and diversity in mathematics.
• Work to ensure that at least 30% of appointed members of ICMS’s Programme Committee and Advisory Board, and 25% of its Management Committee are women.
•Report gender statistics annually to Management Committee and the Advisory Board for all activities.
- Events and Activities
• Seek opportunities and funds to host events and activities for women mathematical scientists.
• Seek opportunities and funds to host events and activities to encourage diversity in the mathematical sciences.
• Ensure all permanent ICMS staff have access to CPD opportunities including regular unconscious bias training and other appropriate courses.
• Make unconscious bias training available to all ICMS committee and Board members. Monitor and report numbers of members who have had unconscious bias training in the last three years.