27 - 31 May 2019
Ursula Martin, University of Edinburgh and University of Oxford
Natarajan Shankar, SRI International
The Isaac Newton Institute programme on Big Proof during the summer of 2017 drew a great deal of interest from mathematicians, philosophers, and computer scientists. In May 2019 a week-long follow-up workshop funded by the Isaac Newton Institute will take place at the International Centre for Mathematical Sciences in Edinburgh. This workshop will take forward a number of the key initiatives from Big Proof:
• Pragmatic foundations for the formalization of mathematical proofs.
• Social processes that support research, exposition, and learning in mathematics.
• Interchange formats and repositories for formal mathematical knowledge
• Scalable proof automation
• Applications of Big Proof technology
This workshop will commence at 13:00 on Monday 27 May and finish on Friday 31 May at 12 noon.
On Monday 27 May, you should aim to arrive at ICMS, for registration at 13:00 -13:50. Tea/coffee will be served. The workshop will begin with a welcome talk at 13:50 followed by the first talk art 14:00.
All speakers and invitees should now have received an invitaiton to attend. Further details of the programme will be issued in April.
Please note that it is your responsibility to have adequate travel insurance to cover medical and other emergencies that may occur on your trip.
Please see the Visiting ICMS page for details of our location.
A taxi directly from the airport will cost approximately 20.00 to 25.00 GBP to the city centre for a one-way journey.
There is also a bus service direct from the airport to the city centre which will cost 4.50 GBP single or 7.50 GBP return - the Airlink 100. This is a frequent service (every 10 minutes during peak times) and will bring you close to Waverley Railway Station, only a short walk to the workshop venue.
Lothian buses charge £1.70 for a single, £4.00 for a day ticket. Please note that the exact fare is required and no change is given.
If travelling by train, please note that Edinburgh has several railway stations - Waverley Railway Station being the main station and closest to the workshop venue. If you alight at Edinburgh Waverley, the workshop venue is an easy 15 minute walk away
ICMS does NOT use third parties to arrange accommodation. If you are approached by a third party (e.g. Business Travel Management) asking for booking details, please ignore. If you have any concerns please contact ICMS.
If you are booking your own accommodation for this workshop, here are a few suggestions below which are close to ICMS and reasonably priced.
- Masson House Pollock Halls of Residence, The University of Edinburgh, 18 Holyrood Park Road, Edinburgh EH16 5AY 0800 028 7118 (UK only) - +44 (0)131 651 2189 - University of Edinburgh accommodation. Pollock Halls is about a 20-25 minute walk
- Ibis Hotel on South Bridge (not Hunter Square) A 2 minute walk from ICMS.
- Motel One Edinburgh (Please note that Motel One has two hotels in the city centre - Motel One Royal or Motel One Princes. Both are within 5 to 10 minutes walk from ICMS)
- Jurys Inn Edinburgh, 43 Jeffrey Street, Edinburgh EH1 1DH +44 (0)131 200 3300 - A 5 minute walk from ICMS.
- Edinburgh City Hotel, 79 Lauriston Place, Edinburgh, EH3 9HZ +44 (0)131 622 7979 - Also around a 5 minute walk from ICMS
- St Christophers Hostel, 9-13 Market Street, Edinburgh EH1 1DE (approx 25.00 or less depending on offers available)+44 (0)20 7407 1856 - bookings
to be announced