Edinburgh Mathematical Society Postgraduate Meeting for Students 2019
28 – 30 May 2019
The Edinburgh Mathematical Society held the twenty-second residential meeting for postgraduate students from all Scottish universities at The Burn, a country house situated in extensive grounds near Edzell in the Highlands, 28-30 May 2019. In this informal setting students met with others working in similar areas. Participantswere encouraged to give short talks on their research and the programme also featured other intellectual activities, with ample time left for socialising and exploration of the grounds.
Mr. Bruno Barton-Singer (Heriot-Watt University) was awarded the EMS Prize for the Best Student Presentation for his talk: "An Introduction to Topological Solitons".
The cost of the meeting will be subsidised by the Society, but it is necessary to make a charge to each student of £75. The following universities have confirmed that they will pay the £75 charge for their PhD students:
University of Aberdeen
University of Dundee
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
University of St Andrews
University of Stirling
University of Strathclyde
This fee covers the cost of accommodation and all meals at The Burn, from Tuesday evening to Thursday lunch. We are not able to reimburse the cost of travel to The Burn, but you may be able to recover this from your department. We will provide transport to The Burn from Montrose station for the outgoing journey on Tuesday 28 May and also for the return journey on Thursday 30 May.
You may register your interest in attending this meeting by completing the application form.
The closing date for applications is 19 April 2019. Numbers are limited and if your application has been successful you will be notified by e-mail after 30 April 2019.
The meeting will begin in the afternoon on Tuesday at 16.15 and will end after lunch on Thursday 30 May. A detailed timetable will be published in due course in the Programme section of this page.
The meeting will begin in the afternoon on Tuesday at 15:45 and will end after lunch on Thursday 30 May.
How to get there
The Burn is 1½ miles east of Edzell on the B966 road. If you intend to travel by CAR, you should aim to arrive at the Burn before 15.30 on Monday 21 May. Please visit this link for driving instructions.
If you are travelling by TRAIN, you should go to MONTROSE. We will provide transport to The Burn from Montrose station for the outgoing journey on Monday 21 May and also for the return journey on Wednesday 23 May.
- For the outgoing journey on Tuesday 28 May the minibus will depart at 14.30
- For the return journey on Thursday 30 May the minibus will depart at 13.30
Please note places are strictly limited to those who have requested minibus transportation. The journey between the Montrose station and The Burn will take approximately 30 minutes.
On Tuesday 28 May suitable trains to Montrose are:
- Aberdeen Departs 13:12 Arrives 13:44
- Dundee Departs 13:37 Arrives 14:10
- Edinburgh Waverley Departs 12:30 Arrives 14:10
- Glasgow Queen Street Departs 11:45 Arrives 14:10 (one change)
- Leuchars Departs 13:24 Arrives 14:10
- Stirling Departs 12:08 Arrives 13.32
On Thursday 30 May suitable trains from Montrose are:
- Aberdeen Departs 14:11 Arrives 14:50
- Dundee Departs 14:21 Arrives 14:54
- Edinburgh Waverley Departs 14:35 Arrives 16:31
- Glasgow Queen Street Departs 14:21 Arrives 16:18
- Leuchars Departs 14:35 Arrives 15:20
- Stirling 14:21 Arrives 15:47
Please check the train times before travelling. Further information about rail travel can be found at the Scotrail website.
Bedding and a towel are provided at the Burn House. If you have indicated a special diet, this will be catered for. Tennis, croquet and bowls can be played in the grounds, and the area is good for hill-walking. (Note that you are responsible for your own safety during any activity).
The Burn contact details
Further information, about the Burn House can be found here.
Giving a Talk
- Talks should be 15 minutes long. Session chairs will be keeping a close eye on the time, so don't overrun!
- There are no blackboards at the Burn. You must prepare either over-head projector transparencies or an Acroread (pdf) presentation. A data projector is available for those wishing to give a Acroread presentation. A computer will be available for this purpose which will run Adobe Acroread. Bring your talk on a USB key, or as a last resort you can e-mail the talk directly to Dr Raluca Eftimie.
- Please remember that you may be the only expert in your subject area at the Burn - so don't make things too difficult for the rest of us.
Not Giving a Talk
- Those of you who are not giving a talk will be allocated the job of session chair or helper.