Computational strategies for large-scale statistical data analysis
ICMS, 15 South College Street, Edinburgh, EH8 9AA
2 – 6 July 2018
- Guang Cheng, Purdue University
- Chenlei Leng, University of Warwick
Bringing together active researchers working at the interface of statistics, machine learning and optimization, the aims of this workshop are:
- to exchange the methodological, algorithmic and theoretical developments recently made in distributed data analysis and aggregated inference with consideration on computational complexity and statistical properties of relevant estimators;
- to discuss open challenges, exchange research ideas and forge collaborations in three research areas: statistics, machine learning and optimization;
- to promote the development of software with justified statistical properties and efficient computational properties;
- to engage more UK young researchers to work at the interface of computing and
Invitations will be sent out by ICMS in March 2018.
The workshop will be held at ICMS, 15 South College Street, Edinburgh.
TALKS AND AUDIO/VISUAL EQUIPMENT
All talks will be held in the Newhaven Lecture Theatre. The lecture theatre has a built in computer, data projector, and visualiser/document camera. In addition, there are two blackboards. The projector and one board may be used simultaneously. We advise Speakers that, where possible, you bring your talk on a memory stick/USB to put onto our computer in advance of your session - either at the start of the day or during coffee/lunch breaks. ICMS staff can help with this. It is possible for you to use your own laptops but it is then your own responsibility to ensure that resolutions are changed on the laptops if necessary (ICMS will not change the resolution on our equipment). If you use a Mac we expect you to bring your own adaptor.
If you are travelling from outside of the UK you may require an entry visa. A European visa does not guarantee entry to the UK. Please use this link to the UK Visas site to find out if you need a visa and if so how to apply for one.
Please note that it is your responsibility to have adequate travel insurance to cover medical and other emergencies that may occur on your trip.
A taxi directly from the airport will cost approximately 20.00 to 25.00 GBP to the city centre for a one-way journey. There is also a bus service direct from the airport to the city centre which will cost 4.50 GBP single or 7.50 GBP return - the Airlink 100. This is a frequent service (every 10 minutes during peak times) and will bring you close to Waverley Railway Station, only a short walk to the workshop venue.
Lothian buses charge £1.70 for a single, £4.00 for a day ticket. Please note that the exact fare is required and no change is given.
If travelling by train, please note that Edinburgh has several railway stations - Waverley Railway Station being the main station and closest to the workshop venue at 15 South College Street. If you alight at Edinburgh Waverley, the workshop venue is an easy 10 minute walk over North and South Bridge.
To be announced